Re: TCP keepalive support for libpq - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: TCP keepalive support for libpq
Date
List pgsql-hackers
All,

If we *don't* rely on tcp-keepalive for terminating SR connections where
the master is dead, what is the alternative?  That issue, IMHO, is a
blocker for 9.0.

If tcp-keepalives are the only idea we have, then we need to work around
the limitations and implement them.

I'll also point out that keepalives are already a supported feature for
production PostgreSQL on the server side, so I don't see that adding
them for libpq is a big deal.  We might not want to enable them by
default, though.

--                                  -- Josh Berkus                                    PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
                        http://www.pgexperts.com