Re: InvalidXLogRecPtr in docs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: InvalidXLogRecPtr in docs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 10/06/10 09:42, Fujii Masao wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 11:56 AM, Tom Lane<tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>  wrote:
>> Robert Haas<robertmhaas@gmail.com>  writes:
>>
>>> Maybe we should be returning NULL instead of 0/0.
>>
>> +1 for using NULL instead of an artificially chosen value, for both of
>> those functions.
>
> Okay, the attached patch makes those functions return NULL in that case.

Ah, I just committed a patch to do the same, before seeing your email.
Thanks anyway.

BTW, the docs claim about pg_last_xlog_location() that "While streaming
replication is in progress this will increase monotonically." That's a
bit misleading: when the replication connection is broken for some
reason and we restart it, we begin streaming from the beginning of the
last WAL segment. So at that moment, pg_last_xlog_location() moves
backwards to the beginning of the WAL segment.

Should we:
1. Just document that,
2. Change pg_last_xlog_location() to not move backwards in that case, or
3. Change the behavior so that we start streaming at the exact byte
location where we left off?

I believe that starting from the beginning of the WAL segment is just
paranoia, to avoid creating a WAL file that's missing some data from the
beginning. Right?