Re: On a somewhat disappointing correspondence - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: On a somewhat disappointing correspondence
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> We are not very good at _removing_ functionality/GUCs, and based on the
> discussion so far, I think there is a very slim chance we would get it
> right for 9.0, which is why I suggested converting it to a boolean and
> revisiting this for 9.1.

There's some feedback you can only get by exposing a complicated feature
to the users and seeing what they make of it.  This one hasn't even had
a full week to gather beta user reports.  Given that it's easy to
disable (just limiting the range on what is effectively a 3-way switch
to two positions), I don't understand why you're pushing at this point
for its removal.  You could be encouraging testing instead, which I
believe is needed to know exactly what the right thing to do in 9.1 is.