Re: libpq connectoin redirect - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: libpq connectoin redirect
Date
List pgsql-hackers
feng tian wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to load balance a postgres server on 4 physical machines, say 127.0.0.11-14.  I can set up a pgbouncer on
127.0.0.10and connection pooling to my four boxes.  However, the traffic from/to clients will go through an extra hop.
Anotherway to do this, is to send the client an "redirect" message.  When client connect to 127.0.0.10, instead of
acceptingthe connection, it can reply to client telling it to reconnect to one of the server on 127.0.0.11-14.

One common way to do that is to set up one DNS entry for those 4 IP
addresses.