Re: TOAST behavior in 8.3 and 8.4 - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: TOAST behavior in 8.3 and 8.4
Date
List pgsql-admin
Lewis Kapell <lkapell@setonhome.org> wrote:

> In tuptoaster.h, just above the declaration of
> TOAST_TUPLES_PER_PAGE, there is a comment which begins: "while
> these can be modified without initdb..."
>
> Does this mean that if I reduce the value of TOAST_TUPLE_THRESHOLD
> and rebuild, I can use an existing database cluster without having
> to run initdb again?

Yes, but it's *possible* that some table which would now seem to
qualify for a toast table, based on the new threshold, would not yet
have one. That would be benign; it just wouldn't be able to toast
values for that table unless you recreated it.  You can check
pg_class to find out which tables currently have toast tables.

-Kevin