Re: Running Windows on a Mac partition - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Running Windows on a Mac partition
Date
List pgsql-general
John Gage wrote:
> I just wondered if I could access the same 8.4.2 server from the Windows
> partition (XP via "Bootcamp") as I do from the Mac partition on my Mac?

If I understand correctly, Boot Camp doesn't permit both Mac OS X and
Windows to run at the same time, right? You can run one or the other,
and to switch you must reboot?

If that's the case, then you can't run one server instance and share it
via the network between the two "personalities".

You *might* be able to share the data directory if the Mac OS X system
can read/write the Windows NTFS partition or vice versa. This is
probably risky, as I wouldn't trust Mac OS X's NTFS support to be safe
to run a database on, nor any Apple-provided HFS+ driver for XP to be
safe for that purpose. I wouldn't run Pg on FAT32 either.

Personally, what I'd do would be create a virtual machine image with
something like VMWare - something that is supported on both Mac OS X and
on Windows. Put it somewhere both systems can access it - probably the
Windows NTFS partition. Then, whichever OS you're using, start the
virtual machine with Pg on it and use that server over the virtual
network between the VM and the real host.

Alternately, you could just point Pg at a data-dir on storage that both
systems can access, as described earlier. I'd be pretty wary of doing
this, though.

--
Craig Ringer