Re: Running Windows on a Mac partition - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John Gage
Subject Re: Running Windows on a Mac partition
Date
List pgsql-general
Unfortunately, but no unexpectedly, I have been moderately stupid in
this question.

Using Bootcamp, the OS's are *not* running simultaneously.  Hence, the
server, which is on the Mac is not running when Win is running.  There
is the possibility for the Mac to *read* files in Win, but that is as
far as the cross-talk goes.  Win does not know that Mac exists.

That is Bootcamp.

There are other solutions, Parallels is one, that permit Win and Mac
to run simultaneously.  Win in that case is a virtual machine.  In
that case the two "OS's" talk to each other.  But it is still a cludgy
environment, and I don't want to spend the money on another Win OEM OS.

Sorry to have not really done my homework on this question, and thank
you for your suggestions.  Clearly, TCP/IP would work...if the Mac
were running at the same time.

As a footnote, given the entirely different virus susceptibilities of
the two systems, it is probably better to run a separate server and
data file(s) on each machine.

John