Re: what could cause inserts getting queued up and db locking?? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brian Maguire
Subject Re: what could cause inserts getting queued up and db locking??
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks.  We do have it set to 15 mb.  I would think that 16 mb would not
make a big difference.  Do you have any other ideas?

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Barnard [mailto:kevin.barnard@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 2:32 PM
To: Brian Maguire
Cc: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] what could cause inserts getting queued up and db
locking??

This sounds like a WAL segment recycling issue.  I believe 8.0 should
relieve some of the stress.   I've had this problem before and found
that increasing the number of check point segments has helped a
little.  You still get the a wallop when this happens, increasing the
size should make that happen less often.  The downside is each of the
files, segments, is 16meg.

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 13:27:53 -0400, Brian Maguire <bmaguire@vantage.com>
wrote:
> One observation that we made was right when the statements pile up
there
> is a large increase in the number of disk reads.  The entire issue
lasts
> approx. 20 secs and then everything recovers.  There will be a backlog
> of 300+ statements and then all a sudden it seems to get resolved.
>
> We though there might be locking, but noticed that there were not any
> queries in wait mode indicating that no statements were blocked by
> another statement's lock.
>
> Can anyone suggest what may be causing the pile up/locking like
> occurrences?
>
> Brian

IIRC