Re: what could cause inserts getting queued up and db locking?? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: what could cause inserts getting queued up and db locking??
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 03:10:04PM -0400, Brian Maguire wrote:
> Thanks.  We do have it set to 15 mb.  I would think that 16 mb would not
> make a big difference.  Do you have any other ideas?

Huh?  No, you have it set to 15 *segments*, each of which is 16 MB long.
Maybe setting it higher will help you, but maybe it won't, depending on
wheter there's a checkpoint run when the system is in a somewhat idle
state.

Oh, you may also want to increase checkpoint_timeout, so that
checkpoints are run less frequently.

But then, checkpoints will be run less frequently and they will take
longer.  If you do have idle or low-load periods, try to run a
checkpoint when they occur.  Else you may need faster disks ...

"This is a foot just waiting to be shot"                (Andrew Dunstan)