Re: Transaction table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: Transaction table
Date
List pgsql-general
Vick Khera wrote:
> You really *never* delete this data?  I would suspect then that having
> a partitioning scheme where the number of partitions can grow over
> time is going to be important to you.

he said a new table is created each day, but nothing about these daily
tables being partitions in a larger view.   I don't know if that means
the old daily tables are deleted eventually or just kept forever.  he
then said the daily table will be growing by 10X, I don't know if these
means 10 times more vehicles or 10 times the number of daily trackpoints
per vehicle.   he said this daily table has two indexes, I suspect these
are vehicle number, and time of track point, but I'm just guessing.

if it is by vehicle and by time, and the number of vehicles is
multiplying, he could partition by vehicle if the daily table becomes
oto large, or he could partition by hour.   partitioning per vehicle
would allow putting them in different tablespaces, which could be on
different disk drives and spread the write load out across more
spindles, while hourly would concentrate all the writes on the same
sub-table.