Re: Joining one-to-one and one-to-many tables - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Ross
Subject Re: Joining one-to-one and one-to-many tables
Date
List pgsql-general
Garrett Murphy wrote:
> Jeff:
>
> I may not fully understand the situation or the data you're trying to retrieve, but if you're trying to get "show me
alltrainers whose current status is Pending", I would go backwards to how you're doing it.  If you're only concerned
aboutthose records with tr_date_name = Pending, then you only need to query for those specific records and join to
trainers_trainer_dates.

> SELECT
>    pp_id,
>    pp_trainer_id,
>    name,
>    tr_status,
>    trs_tr_date_recorded
> FROM
>     trainer_dates
>     JOIN trainers_trainer_dates ON tr_date_id = trs_tr_date_id
>     JOIN people ON trs_tr_date_pp_id = pp_id
> WHERE
>     tr_status='Pending'

Thanks for the reply.  This doesn't quite do what I need but I may have tried
to oversimplify my question too much.

What I need is to be able to join the two one-to-one tables with  several
one-to-many tables and retrieve the most recent entry from each based on the
most recent timestamp for that record.

In my example, I used the sample query of "Show me all trainers who's current
status is "Pending", but that could also be "show me all trainers" and include
in that their status, their education level, their trainer level, and so on.
Each of those three are held in a separate table that contains a pointer to
the person, to their trainer record, to a level or status id, and a  timestamp.

I would have thought that using a subselect to first retrieve the latest value
  from the one-to-many tables would do it but I keep getting results returning
more than one value, as below where I got two results instead of just one.

I think I have found a solution, though, on page 324 of Joe Celko's SQL for
Smarties.  If I re-write the query pulling the latest status for all trainers
as this:

SELECT trs_tr_date_pp_id, tr_date_name FROM trainers_trainer_dates as ttd1
JOIN trainer_dates on tr_date_id = trs_tr_date_id
WHERE NOT EXISTS (
   SELECT * FROM trainers_trainer_dates as ttd2 where
     ttd1.trs_tr_date_pp_id = ttd2.trs_tr_date_pp_id and
     ttd1.trs_tr_date_recorded < ttd2.trs_tr_date_recorded;

I get a list of all trainers and their most current status and I can then
further restrict it to whatever status as needed.

I knew I was making it overly complex but I sure needed a nudge in the right
direction to figure this out.

Jeff