Re: Restore Data Encountered the ERROR: literal carriage return found in data Error - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Restore Data Encountered the ERROR: literal carriage return found in data Error
Date
List pgsql-general
On 04/03/10 23:52, Wang, Mary Y wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> After a pg_dumpall, I'm trying to restore with psql -e template1 -f
> 21.bak&>/tmp/out21.bak .  I'm trying to migrate to Postgres 8.3.8.

Are you running pg_dumpall from version 8.3.8?

> I'm getting lots errors like this one: "psql:21.bak:340557: ERROR:
> literal carriage return found in data HINT:  Use "\r" to represent
> carriage return."

I'd only expect this if an old pg_dumpall was being used.

After doing some research, one person posted here :
> http://forums.devshed.com/postgresql-help-21/restoring-data-from-pg-7-1-3-7-4-release-99865.html
> and this person said "sed 's/^M/\\r/' alldump.sql>  alldump2.sql
> where ^M is entered by pressing Ctrl+V then Enter. "
>
> I'm confused why "Ctrl+V"?  I thought that is a paste function key.

That'll be a terminal or shell escape sequence of some sort. It will
convert the following keypress into a control-code that will get
displayed as "^M" (ctrl+M = ascii 13 = CR).

You could just do: sed 's/\r/\\r/' ... though

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd