Re: XQuery support - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: XQuery support
Date
Re: XQuery support
List pgsql-hackers

Matthias Brantner wrote:
>>> I know this has been discussed several times and it seems the
>>> conclusin was it's impossible if we would like to use existing XQuery
>>> external modules (some are by license reasons and some are by
>>> techinical reasons).
>>>
>>> So it seems the only way to support XQuery is, developing our own
>>> XQuery functionality from scratch. I'm wondering if other people reach
>>> the same conclusion as me, or is it a totaly impossible project?
>>>

>> Well xquilla on top of xerces should get us pretty much were we need to go. They are both under the Apache 2
license,which I believe would be ok. But they are C++ so I don't know if we could use them.

>> I found Zorba, its C++ and Apache 2. But I don't know much about it. But it looks promising.
>> http://www.zorba-xquery.com/
>>
> Sounds like a great project.  Please, let us know (zorba-users@lists.sourceforge.net) if you need any help or have
questionswith regard to plugging Zorba to PostGreSQL.  We would love to see this happen and help.

Well, maybe you can answer the questions I had last time I looked at it,
namely:

> XQuery is a whole other question. Adding another library dependency is
> something we try to avoid. Zorba <http://www.zorba-xquery.com/> might
> work, but it appears to have its own impressive list of dependencies
> (why does it require both libxml2 and xerces-c? That looks a bit
> redundant.)
>
> Even if we did implement XMLTABLE, I think I'd probably be inclined to
> start by limiting it to plain XPath, without the FLWOR stuff. I think
> that would satisfy the vast majority of needs, although you might feel
> differently. (Do a Google for XMLTABLE - every example I found uses
> plain XPath expressions.)

A much more urgent need we have, IMNSHO, than for XQuery, is for XSLT
support that actually works. But maybe that's just me.

cheers

andrew