Re: general questions postgresql performance config - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andy Colson
Subject Re: general questions postgresql performance config
Date
List pgsql-general
On 1/25/2010 8:12 PM, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On 26/01/2010 12:15 AM, Dino Vliet wrote:
>
>> 5) Other considerations?
>

> Even better is to use COPY to load large chunks of data. libpq provides
> access to the COPY interface if you feel like some C coding. The JDBC
> driver (dev version only so far) now provides access to the COPY API, so
> you can also bulk-load via Java very efficiently now.
>
> --
> Craig Ringer

I recall seeing someplace that you can avoid WAL if you start a
transaction, then truncate the table, then start a COPY.

Is that correct?  Still hold true?  Would it make a lot of difference?

(Also, small plug, perl supports the COPY api too)

-Andy