Missing docs for SR - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Missing docs for SR
Date
Re: Missing docs for SR  (Heikki Linnakangas <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com>)
Re: Missing docs for SR  (Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hackers,

So, here's a must-fix item for SR for release: we need adequate docs.
I'm happy to write these but *I* need to understand the answers first.

The current docs and wiki page do not explain:

* How (technically) the slave listens for LSNs
* Does the walreceiver need the archive (via archive_command) copies of
the WAL files after it's caught up with the master?
** If not, then what are we supposed to do with them?  Write a cron job
to delete them every minute?
** If so, can we somehow use pg_standby with SR?

I've tried to dig this information out of the wiki and mailing list
archives and can't quite figure it out.  Is there a tech doc which was
not posted anywhere public, or do I need to just RTFC?

Also, given that recovery.conf has become a key part of our replication,
shouldn't we supply a recovery.example file which people can rename and
edit?  Happy to write this too.

--Josh Berkus