Re: MySQL-ism help patch for psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Subject Re: MySQL-ism help patch for psql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jeff Davis wrote:
>> I'm not convinced that we should start adding syntax helpers like that
>> to psql. For now it is an arbitrary subset of MySQL stuff, are we going
>> to add oracle/db2/mssql/drizzle/mariadb and whatnot later on?
>> Also I can already see people asking "well you already know that this is
>> that command - why not emulate it fully?".
>
> Good points. However, it only takes effect in interactive mode, so I
> don't see it as a promise to do much. I'll make an analogy to:
>
>   $ git difff
>   git: 'difff' is not a git-command. See 'git --help'.
>
>   Did you mean this?
>           diff

well the actual output is just:

:~$ git difff
git: 'difff' is not a git-command. See 'git --help'.

which is more or less the same as:

postgres=# \mysql
Invalid command \mysql. Try \? for help.

so I don't really see why we need to add some random second guessing of
what the user actually wanted (and if he is indeed a mysql refugee he
can always use "help" and go on from there).

Stefan