Re: Justifying a PG over MySQL approach to a project - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Mayer
Subject Re: Justifying a PG over MySQL approach to a project
Date
List pgsql-general
Gauthier, Dave wrote:
> The arguments against PG are not technical.

A few more points that I didn't see in this thread yet that might help
answer the non-technical questions:

* There seem to be more commercial vendors providing support
  for Postgres than MySQL - because most mysql support came
  from that one company.
  http://www.postgresql.org/support/professional_support

* There are bigger companies supporting Postgres than mysql.
  And yes, that'll still be true even if Oracle supports MySQL.
  http://postgresql.fastware.com/

* There are a number of extremely scalable commercial solutions
  based on postgres forks (greenplum, enterprisedb, aster, whatever
  yahoo uses, etc).  These run many of the largest databases
  in the world. If you expect your app to grow to that scale; it
  might make your migration easier.

* There are specialty commercial companies that support
  specific postgres features very well - such as Refractions
  specialized http://www.refractions.net/ which provide
  great postgis support.

* There are enough large companies that depend entirely
  on each of the databases that make either one a save
  choice from that point of view (Skype).   And the way
  Apple and Cisco use it for a number of their programs
  (google "cisco postgresql" or "apple final cut postgreesql"
  for links) are other nice datapoints of companies most
  managers would have heard of.