Re: Justifying a PG over MySQL approach to a project - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Boreham
Subject Re: Justifying a PG over MySQL approach to a project
Date
List pgsql-general
Lincoln Yeoh wrote:
> It seems you currently can only control outbound traffic from an
> interface, so you'd have to set stuff on both interfaces to "shape"
> upstream and downstream - this is not so convenient in some network
> topologies.
This is more a property of the universe than the software ;)

However, there are tricks that can be used with a virtual nic driver to
give the effect of 'inbound' shaping
in the case that you don't have control over the sending interface.
In our project we deployed a dedicated shaping machine with a bunch of
nics that connected to each test hosts.
Then wrote scripts to setup the shaping and the test host routing to
emulate the desired network characteristics.