Re: Justifying a PG over MySQL approach to a project - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lincoln Yeoh
Subject Re: Justifying a PG over MySQL approach to a project
Date
List pgsql-general
At 11:28 AM 12/18/2009, Scott Marlowe wrote:
>On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 7:51 PM, David Boreham <david_list@boreham.org> wrote:
> > Scott Marlowe wrote:
> >>
> >> I would recommend using a traffic shaping router (like the one built
> >> into the linux kernel and controlled by tc / iptables) to simulate a
> >> long distance connection and testing this yourself to see which
> >> replication engine will work best for you.
> >>

> > Netem  :
> > http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/networking/netem
> > We used this to make a test rig for Directory Server replication, to verify
> > re-design that added pipelining to the replication protocol.
> > It's already in the modern Linuxes--just needs to be configured.
>
>Wow, everytime I turn around someone's built something cool from a set
>of small sharp tools.  Thanks!

There's also a livecd with a WebUI to emulate WANs. I think it's
basically a wrapper around tc/netem, but I find it convenient for
quick and dirty tests.

http://wanem.sourceforge.net/

It seems you currently can only control outbound traffic from an
interface, so you'd have to set stuff on both interfaces to "shape"
upstream and downstream - this is not so convenient in some network topologies.

Regards,
Link.