Re: Re: constants in 2-column foreign keys or how to design a storage for text-groups ? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Andreas
Subject Re: Re: constants in 2-column foreign keys or how to design a storage for text-groups ?
Date
List pgsql-sql
Jasen Betts schrieb:
> On 2009-12-09, Andreas <maps.on@gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> stupid example:
>> ---------------
>> color:   red, green, blue
>> size: tiny, little, big, giant
>> structure:  hard, soft, floppy
>> How would I solve the rather common text storage issue?
>>

> have you considered using enumerated types instead?
Yes, but I need those texts in the GUI to show them as listboxes or
comboboxes.
There might be changes too when I later need to add or drop an option of
a group.

E.g. there are questionnaires to model.
Lets say 10 questions where each has a couple of predefined answers
where one should be selected.
So I've got to store every group of possible answers to a question
either in a seperate table or in a kind of repository all within one big
table (row_id, questionnare_id, question_id, answer_nr, answer)
The row_id so I just need to store 1 value per answer.

Now I've got to make sure that it is impossible that accidentally there
gets a question-17 answer connected to a question-42 and above all, that
the questions dont get mixed between the questionnaires.

I can do this with the frontend and enough hope that nothing bad will
happen.
Still I'd rather hardwire the integrity into the table design.