constants in 2-column foreign keys or how to design a storage for text-groups ? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Andreas
Subject constants in 2-column foreign keys or how to design a storage for text-groups ?
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi,
my frontend has a lot of combo- and listboxes where one can chose a
textsnippet that represents a key-number which is stored in several
tables as foreign-key attributes.
Those textsnippets are usually semantically grouped in 2-10 strings that
belong together somehow.

stupid example:
---------------
color:   red, green, blue
size: tiny, little, big, giant
structure:  hard, soft, floppy

now I'd like to build tables like
thing( color_fk foreign key to color, size_fk foreign key to size,
structure_fk foreign key to structure, sometext, atimestamp ...)
so far no problems.

With time those little text-list-tables clutter up the database so I'm
thinking about one big text-storage that has the groups represented by a
number like:
snippets (snippet_id, snippet_group_nr, snippet)
(100, 1, red), (101, 1, green), (102, 1, blue), (200, 2, tiny), (201, 2,
little), ...

Simple foreign-keys still work nicely but they cant prohibit that I
store id-values from wrong groups.
Here color_fk would only be correct if the id is out of group 1. The
foreign key doesnt catch it if I put a group-3-id into color_fk.

Id be cool to be able to have constants in 2-column foreign keys like
color_fk integer not null default 0
FOREIGN KEY (color_fk,  1  ) REFERENCES snippets (snippet_id,
snippet_group_nr)

This throws an error. So this approach might be not advisable.
I could add an additional column for every foreign-key that stores
constant group-ids then I can have 2-column-fk but this looks bloated
since those extra columns would hold eternally the same number in every row.

How would I solve the rather common text storage issue?