Re: Question about ECPGset_noind_null() and ECPGis_noind_null() - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Question about ECPGset_noind_null() and ECPGis_noind_null()
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Boszormenyi Zoltan <zb@cybertec.at> writes:
>
>>         for (; length > 0 && ptr[--length] == 0xff;);
>>

>> I suspect that GCC does the "--length" after checking
>> "length > 0" and before checking the "ptr[...] == 0xff",
>> but HP CC does it before checking "length > 0".
>>

> If it does, that is *unquestionably* a bug in HP's CC and should be
> reported to them.

Wow, I recall fighting HP over a bad compiler bug (although not as bad
as this would be) 15 years ago. Their official response amounted to "we
don't care and we're not going to fix it". Maybe not much has changed.

cheers

andrew