Re: obtaining ARRAY position for a given match - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Bailey
Subject Re: obtaining ARRAY position for a given match
Date
List pgsql-general
Pedro Doria Meunier wrote:

I wrote this a while ago. If you are on 8.4 use unnest instead. And if
you are searching thru really big arrays, use plpgsql so you can
terminate when you find a match.

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION idx(text[], text)
RETURNS int AS
$$
SELECT MIN(CASE WHEN $1[i] = $2 THEN i
ELSE NULL END)::int
FROM generate_series(array_lower($1, 1),
array_upper($1, 1)) i;
$$
LANGUAGE 'sql' IMMUTABLE STRICT;