Re: xpath_table equivalent - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: xpath_table equivalent
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 12:03 AM, Scott Bailey <artacus@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> The nice thing about XMLTABLE is that it adds xquery support. I think the
>> majority of xquery engines seem to be written in Java. XQuilla is C++. I'm
>> not sure if our licensing is compatible, but it I would love the irony of
>> using Berkeley DB XML (formerly Sleepycat) now that its owned by Oracle.
>>

> It's very much not compatible.  Berkeley DB is not free for commercial
> use.  I anticipate that this would be a problem both for commericial
> users of PostgreSQL and also for commercial PostgreSQL forks.
> Besides, that's a lot of code to suck into Postgres to do, uh, a lot
> of things that we already do in other ways.

XQuilla, however, is not Berkely DB. And its license is Apache v2. It is
built on Xerces-C, although it appears at first glance to have less
dependencies that Zorba. I'm not sure how pluggable the XML parser
engine is (or could be made).

cheers

andrew