Re: Data Directory size increasing abnormally - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: Data Directory size increasing abnormally
Date
List pgsql-general
utsav wrote:
> The commanddata field consists of binary data of a txt file whose size
> is between 1kb to 4kb and there is a high frequecy of updates on this
> table (approx twice in a sec)
>
> A strange behaviour is observerd in the physical files with respect to
> this table. The size of the file is growing abnormally in GBs. Suppose
> the file name (/oid of relation /)with respect to the table is
> "18924" I could find entries of 1 GB files like 18924, 18924.1,
> 18924.2 , 18924.3......18924.40  in the data directory, though there
> are on 10k records in the table.
> I have attached the of list command of the data directory.
> Kindly help me in finding , why this is happening because, the server
> is running out of space.

are you vacuuming frequently enough?    in postgresql, UPDATE behaves
much like DELETE and INSERT, and the DELETE'd old tuples don't get freed
until the tables are vacuumed.

I will note, this app likely would perform 4-10X faster on 8.3 or 8.4
due to significant improvements in how UPDATE functions (and overall
performance improvements).

7.3 is a -really- old release now.