Re: named parameters in SQL functions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: named parameters in SQL functions
Date
Re: named parameters in SQL functions
List pgsql-hackers

Robert Haas wrote:

>>> Well that is the tricky part, for sure.  I would personally prefer
>>> something like ${name} rather than a prefix, but I think you're likely
>>> to veto that outright.  So, anything reasonably short would be an
>>> improvement over the status quo.  self?  this?  my?
>>>
>> I think it would have to be a reserved word. The obvious existing keyword to
>> use is "function" but unless I'm mistaken we'd need to move it from
>> unreserved keyword to reserved, and I'm not sure this would justify that.
>>

> I don't see why it would need to be a reserved word.  We're not
> changing how it gets parsed, just what it means.  At any rate
> "FUNCTION." is a 9-character prefix, which is rather longer than I
> would prefer.  PL/pgsql is a tiresomely long-winded language in
> general, IMHO, although some of Tom's changes for 8.5 will help with
> that.

Umm, what has this to do with plpgsql? We're talking about what to use
in pure SQL functions.

If you find plpgsql tiresome, use something else. There are plenty of
alternatives.

I think the debate is likely to be pointless in any case - it seems
clear that there are objections to anything other than
funcname.paramname as a disambiguating mechanism, so let's just go with
that. It will still be a considerable advance.

cheers

andrew