Re: Cache lookup error - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Cache lookup error
Date
List pgsql-general
Gunnar Sønsteby wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to user lists, so please don't be to hard on me if I am doing
> anything wrong.
>
> I have been running a postgres database with slony replication for some
> years now as a backend for a apache webserver and lately some mono
> (.net) programs. The database and webserver is running on a Ubuntu LTS
> server and I compile the programs myself to be reasonable updated.
>
> Current version is postgres 8.3.7 and Slony1-2.16

OK.

> Yesterday I got a lot of errormessages in the postgres log.
>
> 2009-11-12 06:11:51 CET INSERTERROR:  cache lookup failed for type 19218
> 2009-11-12 06:11:51 CET INSERTCONTEXT:  SQL statement "INSERT INTO
> _slony_webtrim.sl_log_1 ...

> The error came after I dropped
> (cascade) the slony schema and reinstalled it. I were not able to dump
> the database (just hanging), but dumping table by table went ok. After
> reinstalling the database (initdb) and install slony, everything seems
> ok. I have scripts for installing slony, so there should not be any
> differences in the way it is done.

Well, the error suggests something didn't get dropped/reinstalled
cleanly. It's looking up a type definition with OID 19218 and not
finding it. Typically you would get this with a function in
pl<something> or in a trigger, which ties in with slony again.

So - something is trying to access a slony type via its old OID rather
than its new one (or something like that). Not sure what this would be,
since the drop-schema + cascade should have removed anything that could
do this.

It's probably impossible to identify precisely what it was since it's
not there any more.

Next time, perhaps try "SLONIK DROP NODE" before manually dropping the
schema.
  http://www.slony.info/documentation/dropthings.html

--
  Richard Huxton