Re: auto-filling a field on insert - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: auto-filling a field on insert
Date
List pgsql-general
semi-ambivalent wrote:

> At first blush that looks good but I need an index on that concatted
> value and I don't seem to be able to index a field in a view. I'll
> check the docs on views to see if I'm missing something.

As others have noted, a multi-field index or a functional index is
probably the best option.

If you decide for some reason that you really, really need the
concatenated fields stored in the table its self, you will need to use a
BEFORE INSERT ... FOR EACH ROW trigger to populate field `D'.

--
Craig Ringer