Re: multi-company design/structure ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ivano Luberti
Subject Re: multi-company design/structure ?
Date
List pgsql-general
The problem is how you use those data ?
I have used schemas to split data when I had to manage large amount of
data (hundred of thousand records) that are (almost) never going to be
used together, if not for statistic purposes and offline processing.

If you never need to select those data all together (different companies
and instances access only their own data) and the amount is really large
than you can have benefit from splitting, otherwise adding a field is
going to be more efficient.

John ha scritto:
> On Tuesday 20 October 2009 10:11:53 am Wolfgang Keller wrote:
>
>>> Is it better to create multi databases or create multi schemas?
>>>
>> You're missing one option imho: One database, one schema.
>>

>>> I am writing a program that can have multi instances.  Sort like a
>>> finanical accounting system that can have multiable companies. Where each
>>> company has a different name but the tables are an exact match to each
>>> other.
>>>
>> Then you could simply add a "company-id" column to every table (and make
>> this column part of the primary key of each table). And if you run multiple
>> instances of the program within _one_ company, then you can also add an
>> "instance-id" column (and make this column also part of the primary key of
>> each table).
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Wolfgang
>>

> I never even considered using the one database with added company
> field/column.  On the surface is sounds OK but I'm not to sure.  Each SQL
> statement would require company_id.  Hmmmm.
>
> Johnf

dott. Ivano Mario Luberti
Sede Operativa
Via Gereschi 36 - 56126- Pisa