Re: multi-company design/structure ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John
Subject Re: multi-company design/structure ?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wednesday 21 October 2009 01:23:18 am Ivano Luberti wrote:
> The problem is how you use those data ?
> I have used schemas to split data when I had to manage large amount of
> data (hundred of thousand records) that are (almost) never going to be
> used together, if not for statistic purposes and offline processing.
>
> If you never need to select those data all together (different companies
> and instances access only their own data) and the amount is really large
> than you can have benefit from splitting, otherwise adding a field is
> going to be more efficient.

I don't see any one company having much more than 50 Gigs.  So I'm not to
worried about the size.  But I do see wanting to create aggreate type reports
of the companies (like a HQ wanting to report an aggreate GL report of the
companies).  I would think both the using company_id column or using schemas
to separate the companies would allow easy access for the aggreate type
reports.

Food for thought,
Johnf