Re: Wishlist of PL/Perl Enhancements for PostgreSQL 8.5 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Wishlist of PL/Perl Enhancements for PostgreSQL 8.5
Date
List pgsql-general
David Fetter wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 09:34:52AM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> David Fetter wrote:
>>> Inter-function calling could be handy, too.
>> I agree.  This would mean that the function name mangling would have to
>> be more predictable ... maybe using the argument types instead of OID?
>
> As Andrew Dunstan pointed out off-list, the argument type naming
> scheme is quite vulnerable to naming oddities:
>
> foo(int,text,int)
> foo_int(text,int)
> foo_int_text(int)
> foo_int_text_int()

Are we looking down the wrong end of the telescope here? What if we had
something more like the "C" binding for functions:

CREATE FUNCTION foo(int,text,int) AS 'MyModule::internal_foo' LANGUAGE
plperl;

If you want inter-function calls you use internal_foo.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd