Re: updated hstore patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ron Mayer
Subject Re: updated hstore patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Andrew Gierth wrote:
> I'd appreciate public feedback on:
>  - whether conversions to/from a {key,val,key,val,...} array are needed
>    (and if there's strong opinions in favour of making them casts; in the
>    absence of strong support for that, I'll stick to functions)

Strikes me as an independent separate patch.  It seems totally
orthogonal to the features in the patch as submitted, no?

>  - what to do when installing the new version's .sql into an existing db;
>    the send/recv support and some of the index support doesn't get installed
>    if the hstore type and opclasses already exist. In the case of an upgrade
>    (or a dump/restore from an earlier version) it would be nice to make all
>    the functionality available; but there's no CREATE OR REPLACE for types
>    or operator classes.

It seems similar in ways to the PostGIS upgrade issues when their
types and operators change:http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/ch02.html#upgrading
It seems they've settled on a script which processes the dump file
to exclude the parts that would conflict?

If the perfect solution is too complex, I'd also kinda hope this isn't a
show-stopper for this patch, but rather a TODO for the future modules feature.