Re: PATCH: make plpgsql IN args mutable (v1) [REVIEW] - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: PATCH: make plpgsql IN args mutable (v1) [REVIEW]
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Michael,

> Have an example at hand? I'd argue that in a case of a function of more
> complexity from a code clarity standpoint you'd want to assign to a new
> variable that describes what the new value reflects.

Depends on what programming language you're used to.  For those of us
who do a lot of pass-by-reference in our non-database code, reusing the
IN variable is "natural".  I know not being able to is a longstanding
annoyance for me.

And I really don't think it's the place of the PostgreSQL project to try
to force what some of us think is good PL coding style on people.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.