Re: Re: pgindent timing (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Refactor NUM_cache_remove calls in error report path to a PG_TRY) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Re: pgindent timing (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Refactor NUM_cache_remove calls in error report path to a PG_TRY)
Date
In response to Re: Re: pgindent timing (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Refactor NUM_cache_remove calls in error report path to a PG_TRY)  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Responses Re: Re: pgindent timing (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Refactor NUM_cache_remove calls in error report path to a PG_TRY)  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers

Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 12:52 PM, Andrew Dunstan<andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
>
>> Robert Haas wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not sure there's a
>>> good solution to this problem short of making pgindent easy enough
>>> that we can make it a requirement for patch submission, and I'm not
>>> sure that's practical.
>>>
>>> But in any case, I think running pgindent immediately after the last
>>> CommitFest rather than after a longish delay would be a good idea.
>>>
>> Frankly, fixing up patch bitrot caused by pgindent is not terribly difficult
>> in my experience - bitrot caused by code drift is a much harder problem (and
>> yes, git fans, I know git can help with that).
>>

> Where it really bit me as when it reindented the DATA() statements
> that were touched by ALTER TABLE ... SET STATISTICS DISTINCT.  It's
> not so hard to compare code, but comparing DATA() lines is the pits.

Oh? Maybe that's a problem we need to address more directly. I just
looked at what it did to the DATA lines - it seems to have changed 501
of them, and all the changes seem to be to do with tabbing.

cheers

andrew