Re: slow commits with heavy temp table usage in 8.4.0 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From James Mansion
Subject Re: slow commits with heavy temp table usage in 8.4.0
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> the function time and the commit time a lot better.  But I'm not sure
> if the use-case is popular enough to deserve such a hack.

For some OLTP workloads, it makes a lot of sense to spool tuples of
primary key plus new fields into a temp table and then doing a single update
or delete operation referencing the temp table. Perhaps not so much
for code designed for postgres where there is some extra flexibility
with array params and the like, but for code that targets other systems
as well.

Having temp tables be as fast as possible is quite a big win in this case.