Field name problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alan Chandler
Subject Field name problem
Date
List pgsql-general
I built an application last year which used the name "over" as the name
of a boolean field in one of the tables.

It was in regular use last year and worked fine.

I have been regularly taking backups with of this database with the
following command

pg_dump -Fc melindas_ball | gzip -9 > ball.sql.gz

and, in the past - last year - managed to recover the data from a backup.

The server (a hosting service) this runs on is currently running 8.1.11

I discovered yesterday that for some unknown reason my hosting service
seems to have lost the data in the database.  The structure is there,
but the data is gone.

So I went back to a backup and loaded it on. It loaded OK (I can see it
in phppgadmin) but there was something wrong with the complex display of
the first page of my application (the queries it uses hadn't completed
in 10 minutes). I know there is a large number of queries and might need
some optimisation

So I tried to load the same database on my home machine using
pg_restore.  This runs version 8.4.0, and it failed loading the restore
  with and error at this field "over" because, I presume, its a reserved
word in SQL.

Is there anyway, I can access any of my other backups and load the data
in a current database?

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk