Re: pgstat wait timeout - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Robert Schnabel
Subject Re: pgstat wait timeout
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Tom Lane wrote:

  Robert Schnabel <schnabelr@missouri.edu> writes:

     From a fresh server restart I have one process that will run one
processor 100% essentially forever.  (I've let it go for about a week
just to see if it would ever stop and it didn't).  Attached is a text
dump from ProcessExplorer.  I have highlighted the relevant lines with
****.  Also attached is the current postgresql log after a server
restart.  You can see from the log that about every 70 seconds there is
an entry "WARNING:  pgstat wait timeout".  This will go on forever.

Apparently the stats collector has gotten stuck in a loop and is failing
to update the stats file.  The 'wait timeout' bleats are probably coming
from the autovacuum launcher process, which is waiting for an up-to-date
stats file to appear.  Can you get a stack trace from the stats
collector process?

            regards, tom lane

Sorry for the delayed response to this but I just had too many fires to
put out.  In the mean time, this problem seems to have cured itself.  I
rebooted my computer yesterday (Windows XP), the postgres service
started and I'm no longer having an issue.  I had not rebooted since I
upgraded to 8.4 but it seems to have done the trick.  Previously in
8.3.7 I would have this problem every time I would reboot.

Bob