Re: search_path vs extensions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: search_path vs extensions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Robert,

> However, since we're on that tangent, I'm not completely convinced
> that additional lists of search paths that get prepended or appended
> to the main search path are the right way to go.  It seems like that's
> just chopping up the problem into smaller bits without really fixing
> anything.  I wonder if the right solution might be to associate with
> each schema a list of other schemas to be searched if the object isn't
> found in that schema.  This means that the contents of search_path
> would really become the roots of the trees of schemas to be searched.

See, that strikes me a completely unmanageable and likely to give rise
to application security holes.  But you're a smart guy ... so, *why*
would that be a better idea than some superuser settings?  What am I not
thinking of?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.