Re: Revisiting default_statistics_target - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jignesh K. Shah
Subject Re: Revisiting default_statistics_target
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

>> While most cases were dead even or a modest improvement, his dbt-2 results
>> suggest a 15-20% regression in 8.4.  Changing the default_statistics_taget
>> to 100 was responsible for about 80% of that regression.

>> The situation where the stats target being so low hurts things the most
>> are the data warehouse use cases.
>>

> Er...so why should we change our defaults to support data warehousing
> users? Certainly the rest of the postgresql.conf settings don't attempt
> to do that.

The test that was greatly impacted is DBT-2 (OLTP Benchmark) with 8.4
defaults but seems to work fine/better when reverted to use 8.3
defaults. The 8.4 defaults seemed to improve DBT-3 (Data Warehousing)
though I haven't retested them with 8.3 defaults in 8.4.   Of course I
am not a big fan of DBT-2 myself and I am just providing datapoints of
what I observed during my testing with various workloads. I certainly
don't claim to understand what is happening (yet).

-Jignesh

--
Jignesh Shah           http://blogs.sun.com/jkshah
The New Sun Microsystems,Inc   http://sun.com/postgresql