Re: Re: [BUGS] BUG #4796: Recovery followed by backup creates unrecoverable WAL-file - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Re: [BUGS] BUG #4796: Recovery followed by backup creates unrecoverable WAL-file
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-05-15 at 22:56 +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
>

>> OK, I probably understood your point. The timeline history files whose
>> timeline ID is larger than that of an oldest backup must not be deleted
>> from the archive. On the other hand, the smaller or equal one can be
>> deleted. Not all history files are necessary. So, if we don't keep older
>> backup, we probably can delete all files in the archive before
>> pg_start_backup().
>> Is my understanding right?
>>

> Heikki is right in one sense: if you do pg_start_backup() then for
> *that* backup you do not need earlier files.
>
> However, as you have pointed out, if you have *multiple* backups then
> deleting history files may cause problems with an earlier backup.
>
> It's standard practice to have >1 backup, so there is potential for
> error and minimum is we must document that.
>
> Rather than explaining the problem and the rules by which we can work
> out exactly which history files to keep, I think it is safer to say that
> we must keep all history files.

This whole area is unfortunately way too fragile. We need some way of
managing these facilities that hides a lot of these details and is
therefore less likely to produce shot feet, IMNSHO. I get very nervous
every time I have to touch it.

cheers

andrew