Re: [HACKERS] Re: BUG #4796: Recovery followed by backup creates unrecoverable WAL-file - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: BUG #4796: Recovery followed by backup creates unrecoverable WAL-file
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Fujii Masao wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 2:42 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
> <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>> When you create a new base backup, you shouldn't need any files archived
>> before starting the backup.
>
> If so, this fix is not enough, since findNewestTimeLine() is
> still based on the premise that *all* the history files exist.
> So, as Simon says, we should clearly say that a history file
> must not be deleted from the archive. Or, we should create
> a new solution.

The probe in findNewestTimeLine() initialized to recovery target
timeline + 1. It doesn't require history files for any old timelines to
be present. The purpose of findNewestTimeLine() is to ensure that if you
e.g recover to a point in time in timeline 5, and there's already WAL
files for timelines 6 and 7 in the archive, we pick a unique timeline id.