Re: Re: [BUGS] BUG #4796: Recovery followed by backup creates unrecoverable WAL-file - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Re: [BUGS] BUG #4796: Recovery followed by backup creates unrecoverable WAL-file
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2009-05-15 at 20:11 +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 2:42 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
> <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> > When you create a new base backup, you shouldn't need any files archived
> > before starting the backup.
>
> If so, this fix is not enough, since findNewestTimeLine() is
> still based on the premise that *all* the history files exist.
> So, as Simon says, we should clearly say that a history file
> must not be deleted from the archive. Or, we should create
> a new solution.

I will feel safer if we keep history files in the main data directory
(somehow), not just send them to the archive.

The history files together describe the provenance of the current
database and I think it takes almost no space to record that, so it
seems like a good idea to keep them.