Re: Throw some low-level C scutwork at me - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Throw some low-level C scutwork at me
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Andy Lester wrote:

> On May 1, 2009, at 2:37 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
>> Regardless, I
>> agree with Tom that the idea of having decorators of any kind in source
>> or docs is a bad idea.
>
> Why is it a bad idea?  I don't understand the downside of a line or
> two at the bottom of a source file.

Because it becomes one more maintenance task we don't need.

>> That being said, there is no reason why we can have a section of the
>> wiki that has .rc files for respective editors and environments that
>> conform to .Org coding conventions.
>

> I've always found it preferable to have the editors enforce the coding
> standards for us, without relying on the coder do anything on his
> end.  I'd rather that volunteers, especially new volunteers, spend
> their time and brain cycles thinking about code, not messing with
> config files.

FWIW I had a quick look at two other OS projects: the linux kernel and
the apache httpd server. Apache is simple - there's one vim line and no
vi lines in the whole source. The linux kernel is a mess. There are a
couple of hundred files with inconssistent mode lines. Most have none
(and there are thousands).

So we're hardly alone in not doing it the way you're suggesting.

cheers

andrew