Re: Table data exclusion patch for pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Table data exclusion patch for pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>> Tom Lane wrote:
>>
>>> Why wouldn't you just use -s ?
>>>

>> You might want the whole schema and data for most but not all of the
>> tables (e.g. you might leave out a large session table for a web app).
>>

> The use-case seems pretty thin to me, and the potential for shooting
> oneself in the foot rather large.  We routinely get complaints, for
> example, from people who do partial dumps and then find out they don't
> restore because of foreign key constraints.  This looks like mostly
> a larger-gauge version of that.

Well, you can shoot yourself in the foot using pg_restore's --use-list
option too, but that doesn't mean it's not useful. And indeed it could
be used to achieve the OP's ends, except that he would have spent
useless time and space dumping the data for a table he doesn't want.

cheers

andrew