Re: Unicode support - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Unicode support
Date
Re: Unicode support  (- - <crossroads0000@googlemail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers

David E. Wheeler wrote:
> On Apr 14, 2009, at 9:26 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> Another question is "what is the purpose of a database"?  To me it would
>> be quite the wrong thing for the DB to not store what is presented, as
>> long as it's considered legal.  Normalization of legal variant forms
>> seems pretty questionable.  So I'm with the camp that says this is the
>> application's responsibility.
>
> Can `convert()` normalize strings?

I think that's handling a quite different problem.

It certainly should not do so automatically, IMNSHO.

I think there's a good case for some functions implementing the various
Unicode normalization functions, though.

cheers

andrew