Re: proposal: add columns created and altered to pg_proc and pg_class - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: proposal: add columns created and altered to pg_proc and pg_class
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Making pg_class and pg_proc tables larger hurts run-time
performance,
> potentially.  Making a separate table only slows down DDL
operations,
> which are much less frequent.
Copying the pg_class table, with oids and indexes, with and without
the addition of one timestamp column, the timestamp column caused the
copy to be about 11.3% larger; so I see your point.
I guess I didn't realize just how tight the pg_class table was.
Given all that, I'm going to say that from my perspective I don't
think the convenience of saving the information is worth the cost,
with either approach.  I understand it might mean more to others.
-Kevin