Re: proposal: add columns created and altered to pg_proc and pg_class - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: proposal: add columns created and altered to pg_proc and pg_class
Date
Re: proposal: add columns created and altered to pg_proc and pg_class  (Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
>> - what if I need to know about operators, operator classes, schemas, etc
>>   etc
> Fine, let's log this info for those too (or else decide they're too
> obscure and don't - pg_class and pg_proc are certainly the most
> interesting cases).

I would suggest putting this info in a separate table, pg_change.  It
would have oid, catalog, user_changed, changed_on.  That way we could
simply keep the data for all objects which have an OID.

This would also supposedly allow us to track drops if we wanted.

We'd have to check on overhead of this, though, and maybe make it a GUC
to track it.

This would also be tremendously useful to suppliment replication systems.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.