Re: proposal: add columns created and altered to pg_proc and pg_class - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: proposal: add columns created and altered to pg_proc and pg_class
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> I would suggest putting this info in a separate table, pg_change.  It
> would have oid, catalog, user_changed, changed_on.  That way we could
> simply keep the data for all objects which have an OID.

That makes more sense to me --- it would easily extend to all cases
and would not impose any overhead (in the form of useless columns)
for catalogs that you didn't want to track in a particular case.

The main problem that would have to be considered is how to flush
no-longer-useful entries (which of course entails deciding which
those are).