Re: Uploading data to postgresql database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tino Wildenhain
Subject Re: Uploading data to postgresql database
Date
List pgsql-general
Subha Ramakrishnan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I wanted to know if there is a way to upload kml/gpx data directly to
> the DB.

By upload you mean...? You can always just insert the date opaque as
raw field or text or use large object (lo).

> So far, I have been using shp2pgsql to upload data from shape files.
> I don't want to convert it to shape and then upload it.
>
> If someone knows of a way to upload without converting to shape file,
> please let me know.

If you plan to do anything with the data inside the database
(and your reference to PostGIS indicates that) you need to insert
it in a structured way as opposed to just "upload the data".

What is wrong with the conversion step you mention?

Regards
Tino

Attachment