Re: Immediate shutdown and system(3) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zdenek Kotala
Subject Re: Immediate shutdown and system(3)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Dne  2.03.09 08:59, Heikki Linnakangas napsal(a):
> Fujii Masao wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 6:52 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
>> <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>>> I'm leaning towards option 3, but I wonder if anyone sees a better
>>> solution.
>>
>> 4. Use the shared memory to tell the startup process about the
>> shutdown state.
>> When a shutdown signal arrives, postmaster sets the corresponding
>> shutdown
>> state to the shared memory before signaling to the child processes.
>> The startup
>> process check the shutdown state whenever executing system(), and
>> determine
>> how to exit according to that state. This solution doesn't change any
>> existing
>> behavior of pg_standby. What is your opinion?
>
> That would only solve the problem for pg_standby. Other programs you
> might use as a restore_command or archive_command like "cp" or "rsync"
> would still core dump on the SIGQUIT.

I think that we could have two methods. Extended method will use share
memory to say what child should do and standard which send appropriate
signal to child. For example pg_ctl could use extended communication to
better postmaster controlling.
Zdenek